Saturday, February 23, 2013

Farmington Bay Fundraiser

The morning of Logan's viewing I was told that there was going to be a fundraiser held for me and the kids at Farmington Bay. I wasn't sure if I was going to go becuase I was still pretty anti anything hunting at that point, but I am SO glad I did. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but when I drove up with my parents this is what we saw.
In the morning they were selling raffle tickets and Camp Chef made breakfast, I still wasn't eating at yet but I heard it was delicious! Throughout the morning hunters were passing through to purchase raffle tickets, at one point they ran out of tickets because of all the people buying them. They had a raffle for some expensive guns, hunts, and anything and everything a hunter dreams about. I can't believe how many people donated and the amazing stuff they were able to come up with. At one point I just sat there and smiled because I met the C.E.O of Ducks Unlimited of Utah and I knew Logan would be SO jealous! They let me draw the names and tickets for the raffle. One of the most coveted guns a little boy got, I also drew his name out for the big hunt everyone wanted. I have a feeling Logan had his hand in that one, it was so cute seeing the little boy trying to carry this gun  it was bigger than he was. Pretty much if you weren't a woman or a child you didn't win anything. Logan had begged me for years to go to duck banquets and things with him and unfortunately I never did, but I always pictured these duck hunter as big burly men with beards. Most of them were, and I have never seen so much camo in my life but they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I couldn't believe how many people showed up just to help out a strangers family, that just showed me how tight knit of a community duck hunters are. For the first time I actually understood all the times Logan just lit up about talking to someone like him about his passion. When I got up to thank everyone for coming I saw men crying that I never ever would have guessed would, these people we so supportive and loving. The owner of Camp Chef came up to us after it was over and told me that his home teachers came over that week and were talking to him on service and acting on a promptings. He came across Logan and Chad's story and got just that, he said that because it was black friday and the day after Thanksgiving he had a million reasons and excuses to pass up this opportunity but just felt like he had to do something. Little did he know that because of all his, Ducks Unlimited, Fowl Minded and everyone else hard work and  preparation that they would raise $12,000 for me! When they announced it I think I almost passed out, I was completely speechless and just bawled my eyes out because I was so incredibly grateful. It was a very special morning and for that, I just want to thank Fowl Minded, Ducks Unlimited, and everyone else who helped put that all together, and also those who came out and supported me. Especially to the owner of Camp Chef for acting on the prompting that he received.I will forever be grateful and it meant more than any of them will ever know, this AMAZING group of people changed my outlook on duck hunting but also my life. 
By the way, that camo bag you see in the picture.. well it was filled with all the money, you should have seen the tellers face when I walked in with that gem.  

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience! I know that so many people were dying to help you out in any way that they could. We all just love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Tasha! You and your family deserve it.

    ReplyDelete